Viari was founded in 1989 by Arijeet and Vidhu Purkayastha, entrepreneurs with a passion for design and an eye for quality. The fledgling leather manufacturing unit
was built on a small plot of land in the leafy suburbs of Chennai.
From these small beginnings, Viari quickly went global. In the very first year of operations, an international fashion brand came to India scouting for vendors and found their match in Viari.
With a growing reputation for quality leather accessories, a sincere work ethos and
the founders’ zeal, Viari went from strength to strength, growing to be a preferred supplier for brands across the world. Soon, Viari products were seen on the high streets of London and catwalks of Milan.
After success in the international market, it was time to look closer home. Abhyuday, Arijeet and Vidhu’s son and the young face of Viari, was keen on introducing Viari to
a new generation of educated, well-travelled Indians. With this newfound enthusiasm, Viari launched in the country in 2013, with five stunning collections created by London-based designer Silas Grant. They further ventured out with Milan-based designer Pasquale Rubino who launched six new collections.
Today, four years on, Viari boasts 15 collections, a strong digital presence and thousands of brand loyal customers across the globe.
NOT JUST CUSTOMERS. EVANGELISTS.
Viari is a brand that appeals across age groups, gender and lifestyle. From college
go-ers to independent businesswomen, from adventure-seekers to corporate honchos,
there’s a Viari for every kind of consumer. With leather that ages beautifully,
a Viari is also a perfect gift. A good percentage of our customers are repeats,
people who own multiple bags across collections. These brand loyalists form
a strong base market for all our future launches, and are at the very heart of our success.
• Viari Exports begins operations
• Small setup with 5 employees
• Manufacturing plant set up with 30
employees producing leather accessories
• Crosses Rs. 10 million in revenue
• Bag orders from two international brands
• Becomes a private limited company
• Crosses Rs. 22 million in revenue
• Employee strength of 100
• Expands manufacturing facility
• Certified by clients from US and EU
• Clientele expands to 6 international brands
• Formalises entry strategy to Indian
• Crosses Rs. 100 million in revenue
• Rolls out business plan for retail
sales in India
• Signs up with London-based designer Silas Grant
• Brand VIARI launched in India with
• First store in Chennai and second in Thane
• Launches third store in Mumbai
• Launches 4 more collections
• Crosses Rs. 230 million in revenue
• Crosses Rs. 260 million in revenue
• Employee strength of over 350
• Launches 2 new collections of veg tanned leather
• Signs up with Italian designer Pasquale Rubino
Viari started out with just five employees. Today we number over 350. Vidhu and Arijeet’s principle of “less company, more community”
means that few employees ever leave the company. Our online community of consumers is no less passionate. Besides a consumer-friendly
website, Viari has a young and vibrant presence on social media with over 20,000 followers on Facebook, and 1, 150 plus fans on Instagram.